Friday, July 23, 2010

Day Camp = Recipe for Disaster

This week Iván had day camp at the little community recreation center that I mentioned in my last post as the gym I found. This meant that everyday we had to wake up two hours earlier than we normally do so that I could walk him to camp before 9am. I decided it would be good use of my time to start working out right after I drop him off since I'm already there (and since it's moderately less hot at that hour).

So Tuesday morning I used the gym. It's nothing compared to the grandeur of an LA Fitness or even a YMCA but it does the job for sure. I used the elliptical and some of the weight machines. Wednesday morning I went running through the hill type thing behind the chalets (because I don't want to pay to go to the gym everyday) with one of the other moms from the neighborhood. The scenery is hard to describe... it's not the woods because when I say woods I usually mean tall trees. There aren't tall trees, but there are like randomly dispersed short little bush-esque trees and lots of wheat looking stuff and it sort of looks like the plains of Africa? ok I don't know I guess I'll just have to take some pictures for you all. It's kind of nice though. Thursday I swam laps at the pool at the rec center and made friends with a really nice old lady who was swimming next to me...I think her name was Berta.

So day camp brought me a nice little boost of energy throughout the week. It felt good to be active on a consistent basis (because chasing around a toddler does not count).

BUT... day camp also led me to most terrible moments in the afternoon. I thought that teaching him lessons in the morning was rough. The afternoon has NO comparison. Since Iván was at camp during our usual lesson time, the mom moved it to the afternoon around 5pm. The first day- he didn't take a nap after lunch so then when lessons came around he was unbearable. Whiney, tired, throwing things (pencils, his workbooks, erasers, etc), saying that I didn't know anything and that I was inventing math problems, and just plain ridiculous stuff. I was surprisingly extremely patient but of course had a talk with his mom after. Day two- Takes a nap after lunch (mom's orders). Still is in the worst mood ever and throws things and snaps at me and talks back to me like I have a mental disability (everyone know that voice? the slow words with big eyes one). It also didn't help that his dad was sitting in the same room playing FIFA on the Playstation at the exact same time. Oh dear. Day three- Someone had the brilliant idea that I had to wake Iván up from his nap and then do our lessons. Because most people really like 1) being woken up, and 2) being woken up by their English teacher that they despise. MOST EXCELLENT PLAN. So that lesson included the previous day's occurrences but also a full-blown tantrum with crying and flailing of limbs. Let's just say I'm glad it's Friday (although in 15 minutes I have to go give the last lesson of the week. painful. hopefully i don't get a concussion. some of those books are pretty heavy).

In other news, I officially have a friend! The lifeguard, Andrea, and I went to the movies last night to see Knight and Day with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. It was dubbed (which I hateeee) and I'm not a huge Cruise fan either but it was nice to just get out of the house and talk to someone who's not 7 or 37. Andrea talks A LOT and more than 50% of the time I am lost when she's telling stories because she switches from subject to subject without any pauses or notifications but I don't mind at all because again, I just really wanted to have someone to hang out with on a consistent basis! I think we're going to a free concert at midnight tonight at the town summer fiestas the next town over (that is if my mom and dad come back from their dinner and a movie outing in time... gahhh more babysitting with a toddler who doesn't want me to touch him and with a 7-year-old who doesn't want me to talk to him YAY!!!!)

Here is the link to my Facebook album of photos from Spain-
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2033856&id=1120590434&l=27f0eda026

Miss everyone!!!!!!

You know you love me, XOXO,

G


2 comments:

  1. Loved the sign-off. Can't believe that child is being such a brat! Sounds like the dad is super helpful, as well. Glad you made a new friend!! love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. GABI. Almost thereee pull through! (this is sarah d. btw). tell him CALLATE CHICO BANANA ESTUPIDO! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete